How to Use Shampoo and Conditioner Bars
At first, the idea of a shampoo bar could seem strange, foreign, and maybe even a little complex. But really, it’s quite simple! If you are feeling unsure about making the switch from liquid to bar, take a minute to read this easy, step-by-step guide on how to use this sustainable and salon-quality product.
First, a little about the products.
We source our shampoo and conditioner bars from HiBar, a company working towards a zero-plastic world. In fact, packaging for the products are compostable and colored only using plant-based inks.
The products do not contain any plastic, sulfates, or silicon, and are Vegan, cruelty-free, and safe for color-treated hair. The scent is a slight citrus aroma, composed from essential oils and plant based ingredients.
Both the shampoo and conditioner bars come in four different types: Moisturize, Volumize, Maintain, and Soothe. Moisturize is for thick or dry hair, or hair that usually needs extra conditioning. Volumize is for thine, fine, or lifeless hair that needs more fullness without extra frizz or weight. Maintain is for normal hair, people who wash their hair less frequently, or for hair that requires a lot of product. Soothe is for typically itchy, flaky scalps to help smooth and manage hair.
We recently got in sampler containers, each with 3 mini bars of 3 different types of the shampoo and conditioner. These are perfect if you are unsure which type you would like to use long-term.
Ten easy steps:
- Remove the shampoo and conditioner bar from packaging and cup the shampoo bar with your hand, resting your fingers along the long edge.
- Wet hair.
- Apply the sloped side of the shampoo bar directly onto your wet hair, using your fingertips to guide the bar through your scalp and roots.
- Massage your scalp until you feel it lather. It may not lather as much as you are used to with liquid products, but that is normal, and not a measure of how well it is working.
- Rinse thoroughly.
- Cup conditioner bar in a similar fashion.
- Apply the sloped side of the conditioner bar to your hair, sliding the bar from the top of your head to the ends. Pay special attention to the mids and ends.
- Continue until you feel a light slip between your fingertips and hair. There is no water in the bar ingredients, therefore there only needs to be a thin coating of conditioner.
- Let the conditioner soak for a couple of minutes before rinsing.
- Store bars on a platform where they can be dry and not soaking in water.
How long do they usually last?
According to HiBar, it depends really on your hair thickness and length, and how often you shower. The estimated time is at least as long as a 16 oz bottle of liquid soap, possibly longer for the conditioner.
Curious to try it out? You can find these products on our website, with our van at the Easton Farmer's Market, or in the store!
Thank you for taking steps towards a greener future!
"Hibar Solid Shampoo Bars And Conditioner Bars - No Plastic Packaging.". Hibar, 2021, https://hellohibar.com/. Accessed 27 May 2021.