Guide to Plastic Free Food Storage
In the last blog post, I discussed the reality of recycling, how to do it properly, and why you are better off reducing your waste than trusting the process. One step you can take towards reducing your plastic waste is by switching over to plastic-free food storage.
The newest addition to our plastic-free food storage collection is our Bee’s Wraps. These wraps are a natural alternative to plastic wrap and can be rinsed off and reused as much as you want. They are made from beeswax (responsibly harvested), organic cotton, jojoba oil, and tree resin. The wraps last up to one year and come in four sizes: small, medium, large, and bread sized!
We also carry Vegan Bee’s Wraps which are made from organic cotton cloth, coconut oil, tree resin, and plant-based wax.
A customer favorite for food preservation is our Food Huggers! These guys are made from 100% FDA food-grade silicone and keep your food fresh preventing food waste. We have three different types of Food Huggers, each with multiple sizes to fit your specific needs:
- Food Savers include five different sizes, meaning they will fit over almost any fruit or vegetable you want to preserve.
- Avocado Savers come in two sizes and have a flexible, pit-sized pocket that you can pop in or out depending on what half of the avocado needs saving.
- The Glass Lids will fit over most bowls and containers as they come in a pack with four different sizes.
Last -- but certainly not least -- are the classic Stasher Bags. Also made from silicone, these stashers offer more than just a replacement to plastic Ziploc bags. Stasher Bags can be used in the fridge, freezer, and microwave (you can use them to pop popcorn), and are endlessly reusable. They are dishwasher safe, so all you need to do between uses is throw them in the dishwasher with all of your other dishes.
Additionally, the press-seal at the top of the bag is super sturdy, keeping your snacks from going bad, and the bags themselves are waterproof and non-toxic.
Similar to Food Huggers, Stasher has an array of sizes you can choose from:
- Snack Bag: cookies, dog treats, trail mix, etc.
- Sandwich Bag: sandwiches, fruit slices, salad toppings, etc.
- Half Gallon Bag: pasta, chopped veggies, leftovers, etc.
- Stand-Up Bag: cereal, soap, marinating meats and veggies, etc.
Thinking about all the ways you can eliminate plastic from your life can be overwhelming, so breaking the process into pieces can be extremely helpful. There is no better way to start than by concentrating on a focal point in most of our lives -- food!